This article shows how to use pcontact.exe to upload contacts, people whom you would like to notify with an emergency broadcast text message, phone call or email.
STEP 1: Download the pcontact.exe and sample files from the link at the bottom of this article.
STEP 2: Unzip the downloaded file.
STEP 3: Edit the file run-pcontact-with-parameters.bat
The default contents will look like this:
echo This batch file will start pcontact.exe
echo Your data file must be saved in Excel 97-2003 compatibility mode (.xls)
echo The first parameter is the URL to direct the PCONTACT data upload
pcontact.exe https://www.1800notify.com/ac2 username password 1800-Notify-with-pin.xls
Change the username and password shown after pcontact.exe to your own username and password - save your edits.
STEP 4: Edit the Excel file with the contacts following these guidelines.
- Make sure to save the file in .xls format (Excel 97-2003 format)
- Do not change the column name headers
- Do not delete or move around any of the columns. (If you don't need a column, just leave it blank.)
- Here is the content / description of each column:
Position ID - (not required) Unique identifier
Position Status - (not required) Can be used to identify the status of this contact
Last Name - (required)
First Name - (required)
Personal Contact: Personal Mobile - Mobile Phone Number used to send a text message to this contact (leave blank if texting not desired for this contact). Required if this contact has a PIN (see below) in order to control the system.
Personal Contact: Home Phone - Voice Phone Number used to send a voice broadcast message to this contact. (leave blank if this contact does not want a voice broadcast message)
Personal Contact: Personal Email - Email address to send email broadcast message (leave blank if no email broadcast desired for this contact)
Data Control Full Description - Group membership for this contact. Separate group names with commas (but no spaces). Example: Group 1,Group 2,Group 3 (this would put this contact into three groups.
Pin # for 800 Notify - This is a 4 to 5 digit numeric PIN that can be used in conjunction with the contact's mobile phone to control the system.
STEP 5: Run the Batch file on a Windows computer.
Double-click or "Run as Administrator" the Batch file you edited above.
This will take the Excel file you created/edited and upload it to the Contacts tab in your 1-800 Notify account.
1. If you upload a list of contacts, then remove a contact from the list and re-upload, that removed contact will also be DELETED from the contact list on 1-800 Notify.
2. Be careful -- whenever you upload your list of contacts, it should be the COMPLETE list. If not, any missing contacts previously uploaded will be deleted from your account in 1-800 Notify.